Tuesday, May 8, 2018

The Importance Of Self-Identifiers To Bisexuals

When I was first planning the post I had intended to make a list of all of the reasons I and my family should have been able to figure out by the time I was 25 that I wasn’t straight. Then after a moment I was very proud of myself for realizing that having done that would have been very uncool of me. I would have been using stereotypes and gender norms to prove my point. Which I have been learning since I have come out is not the thing to do. I have been working really hard to understand and accept this new way of thinking in order to be more loving and accepting of those in my LGBTQ+ family who be offended by such things. I am not perfect but I am trying in hopes that one day it will be as second nature as breathing.

To that end, I have changed the focus of this post. Most straights, gays, and lesbians wear their sexual identity as a defining badge of honor. It says, because I identify this way I am not like you, and therefore I am in some way better, or in most cases, if you don’t identify as me you are less of a human than I am.  In other cases, it is used to say, just because I identify this way doesn’t mean you are allowed to treat me any differently, and I deserve the same respect as any other person. As bisexuals, we feel this the hardest because we don’t meet societies binary norms, so often we are viewed as even lesser still by those who do identify in a sexually binary way.

While I still believe bisexuals need to be out and proud in order to move ourselves in today’s society from invisible, to tolerated, and then from tolerated to accepted. We also need to help both ourselves and others realize that no one should be solely defined by our sexuality alone because it is only one very small part of who any of us is by definition. To illustrate this fact, I am going to list all of the terms I use to identify myself, and therefore prove what a small part of each one of us our sexual identity really is. (I do not mean by any stretch that our sexual identity is un important, far from it, so please don’t take this list the wrong way.)



Male
Cis Gender
Bisexual
US Citizen
German American
Son
Brother
Father
Uncle
Husband
Lover
In-Law
Ex-Husband
Boss
Employee
Friend
Christian
Lutheran
Student
Teacher
Singer
Choir Member
Soloist
Trumpeter
Pianist
Thespian
Photographer
Artist
Sketcher
Painter
Decorator
Collector
Antique Enthusiast
Furniture Refinisher
Reader
Harry Potter Fan
Clothes Horse
Suspender Wearer
Bow Tie Collector
Anglophile
Genealogist
Writer
Blogger
Would be Novelist
Republican
Moderate/Conservative
Pogonaphile
Party Giver
Christmas Tree Fanatic 
Ornament Collector
Boy Scout
Diabetic
Asthmatic
A.D.D Sufferer


These are only 54 of the self-identifiers I use, there are many more. My actual list is over twice this long.  As I suggested earlier, there are some identifiers which are more important than others, however, none of them define us as a whole in any way.

I would encourage each one of you who has read this article to write your own Self-Identifying List. Once you do, you will have a new appreciation of all your self-identifiers and you will see, as I did, that being Bisexual is only one integral part of who you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment