Monday, April 1, 2019

Hate & Biphobia Hurt Most When They Come From Inside The LGBTQ+ Community



Please read the PinkNews article in the link below. (Prepare yourself to be angry.)


I had completely forgotten it was April Fools Day today.  So imagine my shock this afternoon when I clicked on the above PinkNews link while scrolling through FaceBook. I read in disbelief, with mouth agape. I just couldn’t believe one of my heroes, and a huge supporter of LGBTQ+ rights would do such a hateful thing. I had not seen the word “FUN” in the upper left hand corner of the article, nor did I catch the fact that the release date was “February 30th.” So I decided to see what others were saying in the comment section of the post. That is when I realized I had been duped.

My relief that this was a spoof was immediately replaced by anger when I realized PinkNews was poking fun at Bisexuals and rubbing our noses in it to boot. This prank goes well beyond poor taste. Pure and simple it is nothing short of Biphobia, and dare I say hate, wrapped up to look like fun and games. Worst of all, PinkNews has reported on Bierasure and Biphobia and its harmful effects on the Bisexual community in the past, and is presumably run by members of the LGBTQ+ community who know just how it feels to be the target of other’s hate. Furthermore, the staff of PinkNews should be well aware of what hate speech looks and sounds like. This then begs the question, “Why would this LGBTQ+ friendly news organization choose to run this story at all?” I don’t believe for one second the editors at PinkNews didn’t realize what they were about to print wasn’t hate, and neither should you.

What troubles me the most about all of this, is not their total disregard for Bisexuals and their feelings, but the fact that they found it funny! Its bad enough they should have known better, but to do it anyway and then laugh at our expense, is horrifying to me. As if all of this wasn’t bad enough, they didn’t stop there. The author of this so called spoof went on to say that in J K Rolling’s newest book the newly outted Bisexual Harry Potter would have an affair with his best friend Ron Wesley. In for a penny, in for a pound they must have said, as they chose to show Bisexuals as untrustworthy people who cheat on their spouses. For those of you who don’t know, in the last book Harry Potter marries Ron’s younger sister Ginny, and Ron is married to Hermione. Both couples have children and are presumed to be happily married.  

In the end, this feels like being stabbed by your sibling, who stands over you laughing while you slowly bleed to death. I am definitely going to need some time to get over this.

No comments:

Post a Comment